Review: Essence LE Coast 'n' chill Velvet Matt Liquid Lipstick (01 Smooth & Move, 02 Smooth & Groove)

Essence's latest Limited Edition is called Coast 'n' chill and it's about those late summer nights by the beach. I feel like the shades are perfect for transitioning into fall. I've been testing out both shades of liquid matte lipsticks and here are my thoughts. 


Lipsticks come in a plastic packaging. The color of outside should represent the shade inside. There is also a rope detail on the top and a white plastic applicator. Size wise the packaging is similar to NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams.

In each is 9 grams of product and the price is 2.79€. 


They have fluffy doe foot applicator that spreads the product on nicely. There's enough product on the applicator to apply all over the lips in one swipe. 


Formula instantly reminded me of the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams. It has that similar whipped mousse creamy texture that applies with such ease. The difference is that these by Essence dry a lot faster and give you a more proper matte finish - by that I mean a drier matte finish. It looks drier, but doesn't necessarily feels drying on the lips. 

On the bottom photos you can see how these look like a few second after the application.


These dry in the matter of 2 to 5 minutes to a complete matte finish, like you can see on the bottom photo.

Because it's a proper matte finish, you have to evenly apply it or it will dry uneven. I hope you can see that the lipstick looks darker on those parts that I applied more and lighter where I applied less. That's one of my main issues. Because I have to apply a thicker coat in order to make it look even and I prefer something lighter on my lips. Obviously shade 01 is more forgiving, because it's lighter. The unevenness is more obvious with the shade 02. 

Pigmentation is actually good. In one swipe you can cover your lips entirely. 

Once these are drying down, they feel very sticky. Not as sticky as a proper lip gloss, but definitely sticky. The more they dry down, the less sticky they are. But I find that the stickiness still stays and I wouldn't recommend rubbing your lips together too much. The stickiness also means that they are really long lasting. They stick to the lips and won't move. If you're eating or drinking a lot, you might need to reapply it on the inner rim of the lips. 

They also don't feel particularly drying on the lips, but don't expect a moisturizing effect from them - because none of liquid matte lipsticks have that. I can confirm that my lips weren't too dry after using these and I do get these problems with really matte formulas, so that's a plus in my book. They feel a bit heavy on the lips, but not too heavy for my taste. I find that most liquid matte lipsticks have that more obvious feel on the lips in general. 


01 Smooth & Move is a warm light pinky peach nude shade. It's that perfect mix of a bit peach, pink and brown color. On me it turns warm, but it can look quite cool, despite the peachiness to it. 

02 Smooth & Groove is a cool grey toned medium mauve. It has a very obvious cool grey undertone to it. 


I don't have any similar shades to 02 Smooth & Groove, because most of my mauve shades are either lighter or not as cool toned, so I'm happy I have a very cool shade in my collection. It looks so edgy, yet still wearable. 

I swatched 01 Smooth & Move next to NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Stockholm. These shades are similar, but not dupes. Essence dries slightly more cool toned and it looks just a bit more pinky. It might look actually quite cool toned on cooler skin tones. Stockholm is a bit peachier, warmer and slightly more vibrant. I also swatched NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Cannes which is already darker and looks more mauve pink next to the other shades. Avon Supreme Nourishing Lipstick in Nurturing Nude is the warmest shade of these all. It has that same nude feel to it, but it's shiny and more peach toned. 









I really like this small and travel friendly packaging as well as both shades. 01 is that classic nude that goes with everything and 02 is my first cool toned mauve grey shade that I just find edgy and interesting. These are very long lasting and dry to a proper matte finish.

If you can get pass that sticky feeling and you apply it as evenly as possible, then go for it. I look at these as a matter and cheaper version of NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams. For the price you really can't go wrong. Just keep in mind that these don't feel as effortless on the lips and that you have to apply them even to look the best. 

This Limited Edition is already available in Müller. If you miss it there, then search for it in DM, Tuš Drogerija, Ličila.si, Leclerc or Click2Chic. 

*PR products

4 comments

  1. Both shades look beautiful! I've wanted to try the NYX soft matte lipcreams for a long time but I'm going to pick these up instead x Nikita

    BLOG//Jasmine Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think both shades are great. This is a more matte version of NYX's. Hope you'll like them ;).
      xx

      Delete
  2. I think I will skip these and stay with my trusty Soft Matte Lip Creams. They are affordable too and awesome! xx

    Carolina's Makeup Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NYX SMLC are also my absolute favorite matte liquid lipsticks, so I get your loyalty :D. Unfortunately, they're not so affordable in our country, as in many other countries. Shame really. I would buy more shades.
      xx

      Delete